adding Reference problem to asp.net 2005

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 12, 2007 at 12:20 AM
vinodkreddy1 says
"i have a problem in adding Reference to asp.net 2005. i am trying to add dlls reference to asp.net application. but they r not adding to the reference list of the application. so i am not able to imports that. it is working in vb.net 2005 and vs 2003.

the other thing is i tried the application coded in other system, copied to my system. in that also all referenced dlls are not showing.

is the problem in my system?

is there any settings in VS ( of my system ) to be modified to solve my problem. "
Jun 12, 2007 at 12:33 AM
It sounds like you have a problem with visual studio or your .net install. Unfortunately, from the information you have given, I am unable to diagnose your problem.
So I am going to try the shotgun approach.

What exactly do you mean by “but they r not adding to the reference list of the application”?

Does the problem only occur on your computer?

Can you load up and run the Sample Web Applications that comes with the validation solution?
If so what happens when you remove and add the reference to ValidationFramework.dll in one of those projects?

Are you using a “web application” or “web site” project?
Web application projects became available in service pack 1 of visual studio 2005. There were several fundamental flaws with web site projects that are fixed in web application projects. If you are using web site projects I recommend you move to web application projects.

Can you add references to other third party assemblies?
For example log4net? If not it would seem to be problem with your machine.

Is the validation assembly GACed on your computer?

Where is the validation framework assembly located?
VS.Net sometimes has strange problems assemblies on network drives. I would recommend that the assembly either be GACed or placed in a folder name Dependencies that is at the same level as your .sln file.

Hopefully when you answer these questions I can give you some more help.
Jun 13, 2007 at 6:37 AM
What exactly do you mean by “but they r not adding to the reference list of the application”?

i mean that when i am adding external .ddl's its not adding to the refernce list.

Does the problem only occur on your computer?
yes, its working fine in my collegue system.

Can you add references to other third party assemblies?
For example log4net? If not it would seem to be problem with your machine.

no, that is my problem in my system

Is the validation assembly GACed on your computer?

i do not what is validation assembly

Where is the validation framework assembly located?
VS.Net sometimes has strange problems assemblies on network drives. I would recommend that the assembly either be GACed or placed in a folder name Dependencies that is at the same level as your .sln file.
Jun 14, 2007 at 12:12 AM
It sound like this is a problem with your install of VS.Net

I recommend reinstalling VS.net and the .net framework.

If you still can’t get it to work post a message on the MSDN forums http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=26&SiteID=1