ValidationFramework.Rule ResourceID property

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Hi,
Can you please add new property to Rule object something like: ResourceID?
It will help when using CustomErrorMessageProvider there will be additional attribute for the error message key and not use the ErrorMEessage as key.

What do you think?
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Our localization feature needs to be reworked.

I'm in the process of finishing up some major changes on the splitbranch. I'm shooting for them to be finished by the end of thanksgiving weekend. Once done I plan on taking a look at localization.

We might very well add your proposed property next week when work on localization beings. For brainstorming what problems are you having with the error messages being used as a key?
I image this is a problem: Since error messages are a projection, and that projection changes depending on the way a rule is used, its possible to have many keys for the essentially the same message.

But, maybe not. I don't use the localization feature.

Some goals for the localization feature follow. Some are easy, some maybe not. Any ideas on how to accomplish the non trivial ones would be greatly appreciated. I'll let you know next week what we conclude about the pruposed ResourceId property.

Consumers should be able to:
- Toggle localization on/off
- Provide their own localization provider
- Use resource files when no custom provider is supplied

Additionally, it should be:
- Hard to circumvent localization when its on
- Easy to supply error messages directly when localization is off

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:23 AM
Edited Nov 26, 2008 at 7:24 AM
Hi Dane,
First thanks 4 the quick response.
  1. I don't have a problem using MessageError property as a key when using my CustomErrorMessageProvider it works for me great and solve my needs. I just think it not clear and that you have to add new property for Key issue.
  2. I think that your project has to support CustomErrorMessageProvider like today its great feature but you also have to support .NET resource files. You can take a look how Microsoft Enterprise Library team support resource files on thier validation project and do the same behavior I think its good solution.

Thanks,
Rotem

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM
Could you explain the problem the requested 'ResourceId' property solves? Just trying to get a better handle on your issue.
Nov 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM
I meant that I can use the MessageError property as a key when working with CustomErrorMessageProvider but I think that from design point it not clear.
So I propose to add new Property instead using the MessageError that's all.